Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Ambitious Ambition.

Remember how teachers back then loved to ask us, 'what do you want to be when you grow up?'. I believe most of us would answer with something like, 'a doctor', or 'a teacher', or 'an engineer', or 'a pilot' and lots more along the line. Right?

Well, I myself told my teachers (and friends) that I wanted to become a doctor. I wanted to be a pilot but my dad didn't think that such job is appropriate for girls. So, I gave a second thought and chose doctor as my ambition. Dad was happy. So was mom. They loved the idea of me wanting to become a doctor. Whose parents wouldn't, right?

And no, I didn't turn out to be a doctor. I almost did get myself into studying medicine but I'm glad I didn't. My dad doesn't want his kids to study abroad so I had to kiss my so-called ultimate dream goodbye. It wasn't really hard as doctor wasn't really my real ambition to begin with.

Now that my ambition just found itself a grave to rest in peace, I was left with nothing else. I couldn't make up my mind. Even worse, I couldn't picture myself in five years' time. I was indecisive.

Due to various twists of facts, I received five placement offers from two local universities.
 - Bachelor of Product Design in USM
 - Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning in USM
 - Bachelor of Chemistry (with hons.) in UiTM
 - Bachelor of Chemical Engineering in UiTM
 - Bachelor of Education (TESL) in UiTM.

See? It was definitely not an easy choice to make. I was torn. I always love chemistry, so if it was up to me, I would definitely pick to major in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering. And I love English too. Probably, a wee bit more than I love chemistry. But I wasn't keen of teaching. And dad was not keen of me becoming an engineer. Again, according to him, this is not an appropriate job for a girl. And mom, she had always wanted me to be a teacher.

As you could have guessed, I enrolled in TESL. And the rest is history.

My point is, if I can rewind the time and go back to the days when my teachers asked me such questions, I would answer it differently. I would tell them, 'When I grow up, I want to make my parents happy,'.

Good nite! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment