Sunday, July 15, 2012

Boo Moment Of Mine

I am such a funny little girl. You see, I am in this superlong distance relationship with my superboyfriend. Hence, we don't get to see much of each other. So, despite all the cookings and bakings (yes, I purposedly put the 's' there to emphasize how many cooking and baking that I have been doing lately), my superboyfriend is yet to taste any of the delicious cuisine of mine.

Anyway, my superboyfriend travelled 7 hours last week to see me. And he brought me two doodle bears to keep me accompanied while he's away for work. Flattered with his romantic gestures, I have decided to return his love by surprising him with my baking. After much deliberation, I have chosen to bake a red velvet cake, seeing that the recipe and me are closely acquainted recently.

The fact that we rarely have a chance to date resulted in us trying to spend as much time together as possible. He arrived on the Friday evening and we went out for dinner. Only after that I had a chance to rummage through my mom's kitchen to look for the ingredients that I might need for the baking. To my great disappointment, many of the important ingredients were no where to be found in the vicinity. I was about to head out to do some shopping before I realised that it was already eleven. Post Meridiem! Grr..

I was left with no choice but to try out a different recipe. The problem with the recipe was, I never tried it out before. Hence I did not know what to expect out of it. I was nervous. I never felt this way before but maybe this is a sign. Or perhaps, the reason why I got all edgy was because I was trying to cook for someone who is very most probably will be spending his whole life eating my cooking. Anyhow, I chose to carry out the previously-planned surprise using the newly-found recipe and guess what, the cake surprised me instead! It looked nothing like the cake made from my favourite secret recipe and it tasted NOTHING like it. Oh yeah, in case you couldn't have guessed, the cake (my supposed-to-be red velvet cake) went all wrong! I was devastated but I tried to be optimistic as I always am. The process took me couple of hours and I headed to bed at 3.

I was anxious and restless and I couldn't sleep that night. I woke up at five but since I was in this semi-conscious state, I remained in the bed for some moments while waiting for the Subuh prayer to due. Right after performing Subuh, I went to the kitchen and took out the cream cheese and whipping cream to desfrost them and allow them to cool at room temperature. Eh, why am I being so deliberate with my story? Let's just skip this. I wouldn't want to bore you to death reading this. I barely have readers who are willing to read my entries voluntarily. I couldn't afford to lose the small group (as if there is any) that I have!

So the story shall continue here. Aite, it was seven by that time and I had to drive my sister to a photography competition by a beach and that beach requires 30 minutes of driving. And I was scheduled to meet my superboyfriend for breakfast at eight so I really need to act fast. The cream cheese was not completely defrosted as it needed more time. This later resulted in formation of lumps in my frosting mixture. At this stage, I was about to give up but my heart told me not to. With only fifteen minutes left before the clock stroke eight, I quickly showered and dolled up myself for our date. Just before I left, I tasted the cake for the last time and it was then I realised that I had to forfeit this plan of mine. Not only that the cake looked horrible, the taste also failed to do it any justice.

Basically, that was how my surprise ended. Right into the trash can. I didn't eat the leftover of the cake. Neither did my family as I warned them not to. Frustrated, yes! A lot indeed! But I have learnt a valuable lesson. Never plan a surprise unplanned.

I hope I didn't smell bad on our date. Especially after I was half an hour late.

Sorry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment